Thursday, August 4, 2011

the love of peas...


My mother can attest to the fact that for my entire life I have had a deeply rooted hatred for peas. It was one of those foods that took hours of sitting at the table when everyone else had left, and I sat there, hiding them in  my napkin, finding ways to get rid of them, just not eat them. As an adult, I have learned to "tolerate" them and I am humored at the fact that my children LOVE peas. My kids eat them as if they were as delicious as M&M's. I know, it's weird, but there you have it.  Then I discovered these beautiful babies at Sprouts. The sign said "English Garden Peas" which conjured up the idea of Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, and I felt that if I didn't buy them, I was betraying Beatrix Potter herself. Now, I am a very tactile person. I have to feel things, it's just who I am. I will say that shelling these peas was pretty near perfection for a tactile person. It was romantic! Opening the shells, popping out each pea.... amazing! And then the taste!!!! Oh my, never have I tasted such a pea. Baby definitely got in on the action and I was amused to watch my little guy eating raw peas and relishing them, even crying because he wanted more. I obliged...
















I cooked the peas along with some fresh zucchini, red bell peppers and some really good sausage I found at Costco (spinach and bell pepper-Yum!)
Then I added, feta cheese, a little parmesean cheese, some sundried tomatoes and tossed it with couscous. 
A nice healthy dinner and the peas were delicious!!!




No comments: